Limited Assurance Report of the Independent Auditor regarding the GRI Supplement 20181
To the Management Board of Covestro AG, Leverkusen,
We have performed an independent limited assurance engagement on the disclosures in the GRI Supplement of Covestro AG, Leverkusen, (further „Covestro“) for the business year from January 1 to December 31, 2018.
The legal representatives of Covestro are responsible for the preparation of the disclosures in the GRI Supplement in accordance with the reporting criteria. Covestro applies the principles and standard disclosures of the Sustainability Reporting Standards of the Global Reporting Initiative, the Corporate Accounting and Reporting Standard (Scope 1 and 2) of the Greenhouse Gas Protocol Initiative of the World Resources Institute and the World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) (further: Reporting Criteria).
This responsibility of the legal representatives includes the selection and application of appropriate methods to prepare the disclosures in the GRI Supplement and the use of assumptions and estimates for individual disclosures which are reasonable under the given circumstances. Furthermore, this responsibility includes designing, implementing and maintaining systems and processes relevant for the preparation of the GRI Supplement in a way that is free of – intended or unintended – material misstatements.
Independence and quality assurance on the part of the auditing firm
We are independent from the entity in accordance with the requirements of independence and quality assurance set out in legal provisions and professional pronouncements and have fulfilled our additional professional obligations in accordance with these requirements.
Our audit firm applies the national statutory provisions and professional pronouncements for quality assurance, in particular the Professional Code for German Public Auditors and Chartered Accountants (in Germany) and the quality assurance standard of the German Institute of Public Auditors (Institut der Wirtschaftsprüfer, IDW) regarding quality assurance requirements in audit practice (IDW QS 1).
Our responsibility is to express a conclusion on our work performed within our limited assurance engagement.
We conducted our work in accordance with the International Standard on Assurance Engagements (ISAE) 3000 (Revised): “Assurance Engagements other than Audits or Reviews of Historical Financial Information” published by IAASB. This Standard requires that we plan and perform the assurance engagement to obtain limited assurance whether any matters have come to our attention that cause us to believe that the disclosures in the GRI Supplement for the business year January 1 to December 31, 2018 has not been prepared, in all material respects, in accordance with in accordance of the aforementioned Reporting Criteria. We do not, however, provide a separate conclusion for each disclosure. In a limited assurance engagement the evidence gathering procedures are more limited than in a reasonable assurance engagement and therefore significantly less assurance is obtained than in a reasonable assurance engagement. The choice of audit procedures is subject to the auditor’s own judgement.
Within the scope of our engagement, we performed amongst others the following assurance procedures:
- Inquiries of personnel on corporate level, who are responsible for the materiality analysis, in order to gain an understanding of the processes for determining material sustainability topics and respective reporting boundaries of Covestro
- A risk analysis, including a media search, to identify relevant information on Covestro sustainability performance in the reporting period
- Evaluation of the design and implementation of the systems and processes for determining, processing and monitoring of the disclosures included in the scope of this engagement, including the consolidation of the data
- Inquiries of personnel on corporate level who are responsible for determining disclosures on concepts, due diligence processes, results and risks, for conducting internal controls and consolidation of the disclosures
- Analytical evaluation of data and trends of quantitative information which are reported by all sites for consolidation on corporate level
- Evaluation of selected internal and external documentation
- Evaluation of local data collection, validation and reporting processes as well as the reliability of reported data based on a sample of the sites in Baytown, Caojing, Dormagen, Map ta Phut, Maasvlakte, Filago and Barcelona
- Assessment of the overall presentation of the disclosures
Based on the procedures performed and the evidence obtained, nothing has come to our attention that causes us to believe that the disclosures in the GRI Supplement for the business year from January 1 to December 31, 2018 is not prepared, in all material respects, in accordance with the Reporting Criteria.
Restriction of Use / Clause on General Engagement Terms
This report is issued for purposes of the Management Board of Covestro AG, Leverkusen, only. We assume no responsibility with regard to any third parties.
Our assignment for the Management Board of Covestro AG, Leverkusen, and professional liability is governed by the General Engagement Terms for Wirtschaftsprüfer and Wirtschaftsprüfungsgesellschaften (Allgemeine Auftragsbedingungen für Wirtschaftsprüfer und Wirtschaftsprüfungsgesellschaften) in the version dated January 1, 2017 (https://www.kpmg.de/bescheinigungen/lib/aab_english.pdf). By reading and using the information contained in this report, each recipient confirms notice of provisions of the General Engagement Terms (including the limitation of our liability for negligence to EUR 4 million as stipulated in No. 9) and accepts the validity of the General Engagement Terms with respect to us.
Munich, Feburary 20, 2019
1 Our engagement applied to the German version of the GRI Supplement 2018. This text is a translation of the Independent Assurance Report issued in German language, whereas the German text is authoritative.